Continue To Next Story: Encounter

Return To The Previous Story: Short Cut

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

By ... Steve Lucky

Marie twisted the ball nervously in her hand as she faced pehaps the best hitter in the league. The Reds were undefeated in the regular season. Her team, the Braves, had managed to beat them once in the double ellimination tournament. This was the game that would decide it and she was pitching.

With a quick glance at the catcher she tossed the ball as fast as she could. The ball went sailing over the plate. The batter swung and missed.

"Strike one!" cried the umpire.

Marie caught the ball thrown back to her and gave a sigh of relief. A tremendous amount of pressure was on her, but she tried not to think about it. Their fate for the entire season depended on this game and on her.

The second pitch was thrown even faster than the first one. It was answered with a loud crack and the ball went deep into the outfield. The left fielder was ready for it. She quickly ran over to where the ball was going to land and caught it.

Her teammates were there for her. Marie realized she did not have to do everything by herself, even in the championship game.

The Reds retired in order without even getting on base, but the Braves did the same thing. The second inning went the same way.

Then in the third inning Marie threw a fast ball that was low and outside. The batter made contact with it. From the crack of the bat, she knew the ball was not going to stay in the park. It landed well past the fence and rolled into a nearby forest. Some of the younger kids ran into the forest after it hoping to find a soveneer.

Trailing by a run, Marie faced the next better. It was very disappointing giving up a run in such a manner. Against the Reds, that run would be very difficult to get back. If she stopped doing her best it would be all over.

She threw a trick pitch with a high arch. The batter hit a line drive straight to her. She caught it. After that she was able to retire the side fairly easily.

In the bottom of the third, the batter before her hit a weak single into the outfield. This was her chance to get back the run she lost. The first pitch she hit foul. The next pitch was too high so she let it go. Then she saw the pitch she wanted, a slow pitch right down the middle.

She hit the ball just fair down the third base line. The third baseman got the ball and threw it to second base. One out. Marie kept on running. The second baseman threw it to first. Marie reached the base about half a second before the throw.

"Safe!" said the umpire.

The inning was not over and the top of the lineup was up once again. She had a look of determination on her face. With a full count she hit the ball into the outfield. The ball rolled all the way to the fence and stayed there as two outfielders ran to the ball hoping to get there in time.

Marie ran faster than she had ever ran before. She had no idea where the ball had gone. The only one she was looking at was the third base coach who was waving her around. She crossed the place and turned around to see what was going on.

The right and center fielders had both gone after the ball leaving no one close enough to recieve the throw. The short stop ran into the outfield and took the ball, but by this time the second run had crossed the place. The score was 2 to 1 and the Braves were in the lead. All they had to do was keep it. The Braves put two more runners on base, but were unable to score any more runs in the third inning.

In the fourth inning, Marie allowed another runner on base, but the next batter hit into a double play. The Braves were unable to do anything.

The fifth and final inning gave Marie some trouble. She walked the first batter. The next batter stuck out. Then someone hit a deep single advancing the runner to third. With only one out, a sacrifice fly would try the score. To prevent it she would have to strike out the next batter.

The first pitch was delibrately outside, but the batter was not decieved. Marie knew she would have to pitch it in the strike zone. The next pitch was fouled back behind the catcher. After a pitch in the dirt, a foul tip, and a pitch too high the count was full. This would be the pitch that decided it.

Marie tried a fast ball in the low, outside corner. The batter swung and missed. "Strike three! You're out!" cried the umpired.

Her teammates gathered around her and lifted her into the air. They had surprised everyone by winning the championship game and Marie was their most valuable player.

When asked for a quote she replied, "No obsticle is too great to overcome."

Copyright 2001, Steve Lucky

Return To The Main Page

Return To The Other Stories Page